Monday, May 23, 2011

Kentucky

Finally out of Virginia, it was a great state to ride thru but after two weeks you look forward to getting into the next state.
The one good thing that came with Kentucky was that within 10 minutes of crossing the state line the sun came out and the temps began to go up.  All the way up to 85 on Friday. Eastern KY is three things, coal country, poverty and lots of very long climbs for bike riders. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday were four of the toughest days in the saddle that I have ever had. Four days of climbing some big hills, the longest was 3 miles long going up 1500'. Then there were many many climbs in the 1000' range.  In these four days we climbed about 25,000'.  The grades ranged from 6% to 16%. NOW that is is over we can look back on it and feel really good about our cycling.  A few of the folks had to walk some of the steeper climbs but I do believe it is easier pedaling up then trying to push a fully loaded touring bike up a steep grade.
From Breaks Park we rode to Hindman, KY and stayed at the Knotts County Historical Society. Yup, on the top of a hill and I pitched my tent on a terrace further up the hill. It was a good time all except for the lousy pizza for dinner.
Saturday found us riding to Boonville, KY, Daniel Boone is a large historical figure in these parts. To bad this part of KY is dry.  A beer really tastes good after 60 miles of hill climbing.  I had cooking duties on Saturday and kept it simple, pasta with meatballs (frozen) and Ragu along with a salad and watermelon for desert.
Sunday we headed for Berea, Ky which is a very nice city with Berea Collage.  I am sitting in a local cafe typing this on Monday afternoon.  Last night we they tell me we had two thunder storms go thru; one around midnight that I did not hear and another around 5AM that I did hear and it was a beauty, lots of thunder and lightning.  I slept right thru the first one and I am sleeping really well in the tent. Stu, a friend of mine really needs to get out and enjoy tenting more often and then he could get his master campers certificate.  Oh well, one can only hope.
We have a rest day today (Monday) here in Berea and it is now sunny and 85F with high humidity.
A good story; When we were headed for Breaks Park on Thursday we stopped at a nice country store and talked with the owners, a nice couple that I mentioned in my last post.  What I forgot to mention was that as we stood outside getting ready to ride again, a fellow pulled up in his 1960's vintage truck, (this truck has never been washed or cleaned). Well he gets out walks up to us and asked Sjef where he is from, Sjef responds Holland, fellow says "where the hell is that". Then he asks Kelly where she is from and she responds Seattle, fellow says "God lady you sure are lost". He looks at me and asks where I am from and I respond Rochester, NY, fellow says "We don't much like Yankees around here" Now years ago I might have responded but in my old age I am getting a little smarter so I just kept my mouth shut, (Linda, can you believe it?).  We got on our bike and rode away. By the way, he had been washed about as often as his truck.
One last note, yesterday I found out the Charlie Shakeshaft, a very good friend died the other day while riding his bike. He just collapsed while riding and was pronounced dead at the hospital.  Charlie was one of those rare individuals who positively touched everyone, a friend, skiing companion, cycling companion and I will really miss Charlie.
Today life is a little duller because of Charlie's passing but it will be good again soon.
Bobo

2 comments:

  1. "Stu, a friend of mine really needs to get out and enjoy tenting more often..."

    PURE GOLD RIGHT THERE!

    ReplyDelete